Top 10 Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE) Listed Conglomerates (June 2011)
July 13, 2011 Leave a comment
A conglomerate is a combination of two or more corporations engaged in entirely different businesses that fall under one corporate group, usually involving a parent company and several subsidiaries.
A conglomerate can have exposure to different sectors without affecting its own operations. Owning a bank and a property company is one good example of a well manage conglomerate. Although the businesses are generally unrelated, the choice of subsidiaries is usually part of an overall strategy to create a good corporate structure.
Below are the Lists of Top Ten Listed Conglomerates in the Philippines as of June 2011. Their ranking is based on the company’s market capitalization.
- SM Investment Corporation (PSE Ticker : SM, Market Cap : 348Billion php) engaged in Banking, Property Development, Mall Developer and just recently entered the mining sector thru Atlas Mining (AT). Manage by the Sy’s Family.
- San Miguel Corporation (PSE Ticker : SMC, Market Cap : 277Billion php) engaged in Banking, Food and Beverage, Mining, Property Development and Power Generation. Manage and control by Danding Cojuangco.
- Aboitiz Equity Ventures Inc. (PSE Ticker : AEV, Market Cap : 226Billion php) engaged in banking, transportation and power generation business. Aboitiz led company.
- Ayala Corporation (PSE Ticker : AC, Market Cap : 189Billion php) engaged in banking, property development, telecommunication and utilities. Ayala led company.
- JG Summit Holdings Inc. (PSE Ticker : JGS, Market Cap : 177Billion php) engaged in banking, property development, airline, food and beverage, and telecommunication. Manage and run by the Gokongwei’s family.
- DMCI Holdings Inc. (PSE Ticker : DMC, Market Cap : 111Billion php) engaged in property development, construction, mining and power generation business. Consunji led company.
- Alliance Global Group Inc. (PSE Ticker : AGI, Market Cap : 104Billion php) engaged in property development, food, beverage and liquor business. Manage and run by Andrew Tan.
- Metro Pacific Investment Corporation (PSE Ticker : MPI, Market Cap : 69Billion php) engaged in healthcare, tollways, utilities, mining and power generation. Manage by Manny Pangilinan (backed by First Pacific Group).
- Filinvest Development Corporation (PSE Ticker : FDC, Market Cap : 37Billion php) Gotianun led company engaged in banking, property development and recently enter the power generation sector.
- First Philippine Holding (PSE Ticker : FPH, Market Cap : 36Billion php) Lopez led company engaged in media broadcasting and power generation.
Source : Bloomberg, PSE